Potatoes for Dessert?!?
Everyone knows that potatoes can be used for side dishes, salads, and sometimes for entrees. But did you know that potatoes are often used in desserts too?
This past week we were down at the International Dutch Oven Society’s World Championship Cook-Off in Sandy, Utah. Chef Bryan did a demonstration for everyone! It was wonderful! And he shared with us that you can not only use potatoes for savory dishes, but also desserts and treats. He made a wonderful Potato Galette! (A Galette is traditional a flat, round free form pie or tart.) You have got to try this for dessert tonight!
At the show, Chef Bryan cooked this in a cast iron skillet over a camp stove, but you can prepare it in your oven at home too! Let us know what you think!
Klondike Goldust Potato Galette
Recipe Courtesy Chef Bryan Woolley
2 Klondike Goldust potatoes, julienned
4 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. all spice
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups flour
3 cups milk
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
- Melt the butter in a skillet and add the canola oil to the melted butter.
- Add the potatoes and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and sugar. Continue sautéing for 3-4 minutes longer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the batter ingredients until smooth. Pour the batter over the potatoes directly into the skillet
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Serve with fresh fruit jams and fruit. Enjoy!