Potatoes. They actually are nutritious!
Bacon, sour cream, and butter! They sure do sound good don’t they, but they are the reason that potatoes have been given a bad name over the years. Potatoes really are a great healthy food. It’s just those toppings that make them bad for us!
Are you ready for some awesome healthy facts about potatoes?
- Potatoes naturally contain no fat or sodium!
- 1 serving of potatoes gives you almost 18% of your daily recommended intake of Potassium.
- A potato will give you 45% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C.
- According to the USDA, potatoes contain all necessary requirements to sustain life. Therefore, you could live off potatoes alone for the rest of your life.
- One serving is just 110 calories!
So get out there and enjoy some potatoes! And don’t believe all the hype about them being bad for you!
Here are some healthy substitutes for those naughty toppings.
- Steamed vegetables
- Grilled chicken
- Healthy coleslaw
- Poached egg
- Corn and black beans
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Cottage cheese
- Greek yogurt (replaces sour cream)
- Feta cheese and black olives
- Caramelized onions and peppers
What are your favorite healthy potato toppings?